Visual performance is essential to overall performance in most sports.
Seeing “20/20” is only one component of how your vision affects how well you play your sport. Vision involves many interrelated skills that are needed for athletics, such as tracking, focusing, peripheral awareness and depth perception.
Athletic performance relies upon the following visual skills:
- Depth Perception: the ability to accurately judge the distance of objects
- Eye Focusing: the ability to change focus quickly and clearly
- Eye-Body Coordination: the ability to coordinate body movements based on vision
- Eye Tracking: the ability to follow a moving object and move from one object to another
- Fusion: the ability to use both eyes together
- Peripheral Awareness: noticing things out of the corner of your eye
- Spatial Awareness: knowing where you are in relation to your teammates, opponents, the ball, the goal, etc.
- Vergence: the teamwork of the two eyes together
- Visualization: the ability to anticipate an object’s trajectory before
- Visual acuity: the clarity of your sight with stationary targets and moving objects
- Visual Concentration: to screen out visual distractions and stay focused on the target
- Visual Memory: to capture visual images and use them to make instant decisions during a game
- Visual Reaction Time: the speed your brain can interpret and react to your opponent’s action
Improve your golf game with the latest in golf glasses technology!! Tennis and racquetball players can see the ball better, react quicker when wearing the correct eyewear on the court. If you scuba dive, we can put your prescription in your diving mask.
We carry eyewear for all your sporting activities!! Come and check us out!
DR. DEAN S. STEINBERGER, OD, is a member of the international Sports Vision Association
1014 S. Westlake Blvd. #10
Westlake Village, CA.
Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Scientific research shows that visual skills such as reaction time, hand-eye coordination, peripheral vision, depth perception, and visual processing can indeed be sharpened and improved with the proper training.